1. Passport/Copy of Passport & Paperwork: I always pack a copy of my passport because if I ever lose my passport, it makes it easier to attain a new one at the U.S. embassy if I present the copy. If you don’t have time to print a copy, take a picture of your passport and email it to yourself!
2. Hair Ties: Use the elastic kind that don’t leave a dent in my hair. They’re awesome.
3. Foreign & American Currency: Be sure to have a bit of both. If your cards ever get rejected, you have some cash to convert.
4. Lip balm: I really love the EOS Honeysuckle Honeydew one!
5. Travel Toothpaste & Brush: I cannot stand having bad breath, so I bring a travel size toothpaste and brush so I can sneak in a quick cleaning in between the flights. It makes the plane ride more comfortable for you and the ones sitting beside you.
6. Face Wipes & Oil Wipes: Face wipes are crucial for international flights. It’s not always possible to wash your face in a small cramped airplane restroom so bringing face wipes will help you freshen up from the comfort of your own seat. I specifically have oily skin so the oil blotting wipes are great for reducing my unwanted shine.
7. Face Mist: I know, you guys think this is a bit supercilious but trust me when I say it’s really worth it. I love Lush’s Tea Tree Water Toner Spray because it makes me feel fresh and new (despite my day-old makeup) so when I land, I’m ready to hit the town!
8. Travel Size Deodorant: I guess by now y’all can tell that i’m obsessed with feeling clean, but having a deodorant on hand can really help keep you feeling fresh.
9. Dramamine/Motion Sickness Pills: This is more so for those who tend to get nauseous on long plane or car rides. I don’t normally need them but on my last trip to Australia, I felt very sick and these were a lifesaver! Plus they’re great for sleeping through the entire flight.
10. Hand Sanitizer
11. Scarf & Jacket: I am THE WORST about temperatures. It’s either always too cold or too hot. So I always bring a scarf and jacket in my carry on- plus, if it’s not too cold, you can always fold your jacket and use it as a pillow!
12. Travel Journal: This is a habit I developed during my Study Abroad trips in college. Bring a brand new journal, just for that trip. When you have some downtime at the end of the day or while you’re eating breakfast, write down what you did that day and tape little ticket stubs or souvenirs that you have collected throughout your adventures. To this day I look back and read through my old journals. It’s so fun to see what effects each country had on you during your time there!
13. Sunglasses: I sleep a lot and for those of you that know me really well, you also know that sometimes I sleep with my eyes slightly open? Haha, it’s weird but very true. So when I sleep on a plane, I like to bring sunglasses so people will leave me alone.
14. Snacks… So. Much. Snacks
15. Headphones: (Tip: Don’t forget to update your iTunes library!)
16. iPad: Mine’s filled with seasons of Grey’s Anatomy because I’m obsessed.
17. Neck Pillow
18. Book: This is an essential. I’m never the best about charging my phone or iPad so having a book is an awesome way to kill time and maybe learn something new about the country your visiting.
And last, but not least..
20. My Polaroid Camera
I know it sounds like a lot, but it’s all a part of making long, international flights a bit more comfortable. This is going to be an amazing trip and I can’t wait to explore the beautiful scenery of Ireland with my best friend.
If you guys have any other items you keep in your carry-on, let me know! I would love to hear about them. I’ll be posting soon about my tips on how to pack efficiently on your next vacation!